Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Product Review: Walking On Sunshine With TOMS Shoes


Last week I received an anytime gift from my husband (awww thank you Andrews) that I love so much that I feel compelled to share and write about it. It was a pair of TOMS vegan shoes. There is a lot I like about these shoes but the main points of interest about the company and its products I cover below.

One for One

Oftentimes when we give financially to causes that we care about, a significant portion of our contribution goes to that particular organization's administrative costs. TOMS addresses that specific concern that many donors have through their one for one equation - that is;

One pair of shoes purchased by you = one pair of shoes that will go to a child in need.

Simple enough. You might wonder why a pair of shoes would be such a big deal. Why not food or shelter? Well it turns out that in many countries shoes are part of the school uniform or dress code, and a child could be refused entry to a classroom if they do not own a pair of shoes. So in addition to providing physical comfort and preventing injury, the gift of shoes could be a pathway to education - which in turn is often the road to a better life for many impoverished peoples.

TOMS donor program even organizes shoe drops where volunteers have the opportunity to visit another country for a week, distributing shoes. I like looking at my shoes and knowing that now some kid as far away as Ecaudor or Zambia will be able to go to school as a result of this purchase.


Protecting the Earth

TOMS makes a strong effort to use earth and animal-friendly materials in the making of their shoes wherever possible. They even have a cute line of vegan shoes for those who would prefer not to purchase any leather or wool products. My pair, for example, are made of organic cotton uppers while the soles are comprised of recycled matter.



Durability, Comfort and Style

TOM'S shoes are both really comfy and long-lasting. This comfort and durability is partially due to:
  1. Canvas insole with cushion for comfort.
  2. Latex arch insert for added support.
  3. A one-piece outsole for flexibility and long wear.
They also have a nice range of more 'with-it' styles - like the wrap boot and wedges- which is not easy to accomplish when going for comfort. Conversely, my Earthwise Slate Classics are perfectly appropriate for my lifestyle as a work-from-home vegan mom who runs most of her errands on foot, and spends her days chasing after a very mobile soon to be toddler.

Keep in mind that the shoes will start off just a little on the snug side before they stretch out to fit you comfortably.

All in all, TOMS shoes present an opportunity to consume more consciously, knowing that you are imprinting the earth a little more lightly through your choice. You also have the great blessing of getting to share what you have with someone in need while treating your own feet to a really comfortable pair of shoes. With all these considerations in the mix, buying from TOMS nurtures the mentality of purchasing with care and restraint - focusing on buying only what we need and what truly enhances quality of life for self and others.

I get no kickback for writing about this company. I am blogging purely from the standpoint of a very satisfied customer sharing an honest review. I even did something which I have never done before - I uploaded my smiling mugshot wearing my TOMS on their website. I have found TOMS shoes to be a welcome shopping alternative to the all-consuming culture of runaway materialism to which we are exposed on a regular basis.







No comments:

Post a Comment